Sunday, February 28, 2016

When Teaching English Becomes Math


Right now, I am in the process of grading 43 rough drafts of Research Papers for my Juniors on the topic of societal fears and the hero or solutions that these fearful societies need to overcome the fears.  They are very interesting papers.  My students have put a tremendous amount of time into these papers.  I actually really enjoy reading them and providing helpful comments, suggestions, and feedback so that they can make revisions and turn in a more polished final draft. And, they are really quite interesting to read. But, the whole process becomes amazingly and ironically mathematical.  Here is how:

o   I have 43 to grade. 

o   I spend about 15-20 minutes on each paper.

o   That equals 3 papers per hour (and that is if I do not get distracted)

o   That equals approximately 15 hours to grade them.

o   Not to mention that I used a pretty specific rubric addressing 10 Research Paper Skills I would like my students to master.  I need a calculator to determine the grade.  And that is how teaching English become weirdly, insanely, and sometimes irritably mathematical.
 
And now for some funny memes and comics that may or may not make the grading of these papers easier…


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment